March 4, 2014

d-ph:

"In Fits in Dreams" - Yassou Benedict NOT YET RATED

featuring Lilie Bytheway-Hoy and the SF-based indie band Yassou Benedict — shot at 8 locations in San Francisco and Marin County during January 2014. Gary’s first commercial project with the Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera — lenses used were the Speedboosted Sigma 18-35/1.8 and Tokina 11-16/2.8. All scenes shot in CinemaDNG/Raw and graded in Davinci Resolve. Edited in FCPX 10.1.1.

February 20, 2014

In 1951 the military bulldozed Mount Tamalpais’s west peak to put in a radar station and barracks for 300 people. Six decades later, the military installation has long been abandoned, but remnants of the structures, power lines, pipes and construction debris remain on the 106-acre stretch of mountaintop. “The Invisible Peak,” a short documentary about the junk perched on Mount Tamalpais, has raised the call for cleanup

Host: Michael Krasny

Guests:

  • Gary Yost, producer and cinematographer of “The Invisible Peak”
  • Mike Swezy, watershed manager for the Marin Municipal Water District

February 3, 2014
Zaphod Beeblebrox step aside, I’ve met the coolest guy in the Galaxy

(reblogged from 2009)

Neil deGrasse Tyson is that guy and don’t you dare to suggest otherwise or he’ll declassify your ass.

A good friend tipped me off to a book tour Neil (I’ll just call him Neil from here on) was doing, promoting his book "The Pluto Files" .

Being a huge fan of his and seeing as how it was super easy to go and pick Jeanne up from work at the same time, I was so there.

We made it a date night. hawt !

If for some reason you’re not familiar with this man and his amazing brain, here’s a short video example;  Youtube Video: 10 Questions for Neil deGrasse Tyson 

Anyway - I’ve not been this excited about seeing someone in person since Ray Harryhausen, I even joked about ‘wetting myself’. (incontinence always makes for reliable humor)

The room maybe held 150 people or so, was sold out and a little stuffy.

I had brought Jeanne’s favorite soda water to help keep us hydrated. After the room had pretty much filled, I decided we needed a little sip to quench our collective thirsts.

There are moments when time slows and you see your mistakes play out before you. That moment came as I cracked open the bottle of soda water and it exploded in my lap. I had succeeded in turning my joke into reality.

My crotch was soaked, add to that I had also showered the back of the seat in front of me where hung a young lady’s evening jacket.

She didn’t notice, but of course I told her what had happened. She was none too thrilled even after I assured her it was just soda water, the kind of stuff you use to REMOVE stains (so says Heloise).

After using my hoodie to mop up her jacket and my pants, my only comfort was that there was at least an hour before I would have to stand up and meet Neil. It seemed very likely the moisture would be magically gone by then. (science is awesome)

Oh and the girl who’s coat I dampened - never spoke to me again. (small victory)

Anyway, Niel is GREAT and natural with an audience. Think of Bill Cosby + Carl Sagan with a little Dennis Miller for seasoning.

He was funnier than many stand-ups I’ve watched and he knew how to engage the audience. (yoda voice) Eating out of his hand they were.

After the show there was a book signing, only I had no intentions of having him sign a book, I mean come on - this was the coolest guy in the galaxy remember.

After seeing him on this Daily ShowI HAD to have Neil sign a Rubic’s cube. I wanted my ‘NdT Bat Signal’.

The lines for the book signing were long, I kept it hidden away until the last moment, to (hopefully) create a small surprise. It worked.

image

I had left it solved to make it easier for him to sign the white section - I should probably have scrambled it first - because he seems to be a genuine Rubic’s fan.

After signing it Neil felt it had to be scrambled in a specific pattern before it could be set free to join my geek collection.

image

That was truly a gift.

He then invited us to stay around until after the signing to play with the cube some more but we had a ferry to catch to get back to Marin. In hindsight I feel like I passed on a chance to bang the prom queen just so I could make it home in time for curfew. Doh!

Well at least I got to sleep with my date that night and on the shelf sits a reminder of the time I got to shake hands with the coolest guy in the galaxy (universe).

image

January 20, 2014

Darth Trisha, RISE!

January 20, 2014

colchrishadfield:

Good morning! Starting the Monday laughing at this Space Oddity spoof.

January 4, 2014
freebroccoli:

And then they’ll come up with an even more annoying means of verifying that you’re a human.
Seriously, what’s wrong with them making money off of this?

It will not ‘fail’ because no one will notice the error until someone actually reads the scanned documents. With a 99% success rate that still leaves 1% that will require post editing and so, that person’s job will be secure.
BTW - the two word system is called REcaptcha, regular captcha is only one word.  What you’re crying about won’t change even if reCAPTCHA fails (which it will never).
Take a minute to learn about this and find something else to troll about.

freebroccoli:

And then they’ll come up with an even more annoying means of verifying that you’re a human.

Seriously, what’s wrong with them making money off of this?

It will not ‘fail’ because no one will notice the error until someone actually reads the scanned documents. With a 99% success rate that still leaves 1% that will require post editing and so, that person’s job will be secure.

BTW - the two word system is called REcaptcha, regular captcha is only one word.  What you’re crying about won’t change even if reCAPTCHA fails (which it will never).

Take a minute to learn about this and find something else to troll about.

(Source: priceofliberty)

December 18, 2013
HUMP DAY!!

HUMP DAY!!

9:59am  |   URL: http://tmblr.co/Zislfv11ZitxY
  
Filed under: humpday hump portal lol lol gif 
December 15, 2013
Why you can't be racist to white people.

wolffieworldorder:

Yo, so this is something I agree with SJW bloggers on. A rare occasion, I suppose.

Racism against whites/reverse racism is a load of horse shit.

So here is my reasoning.

Racism is:

  1. a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and…

What a poorly constructed argument.

To even try to say it follows rational thinking is embarrassing and even racist to a degree. It’s says that if you’re a minority your fear/hatred of whites is instinctual.  This isn’t reason, its A REASON they behave irrationally, if you’re even to allow this premise.  This is a racist assumption. 

Rational people often can have irrational fears, look up most phobias but giving the hatred a reason doesn’t mean you are using REASON to deal with the feelings.   This is where your bs becomes racist, I’m surprised you can’t see that.

The reality is, we all have our cognitive programming to overcome.  If you were raised by bigoted racists, you have a lot of work to do.

I wasn’t raised that way, so if a group decides to offend me / attack me just because of my skin color - that’s racist.  Sure they can have an instinctual fear that has been programmed into them but if they’re rational people they’ll not let that override human decency unless provoked. 

December 11, 2013
That was no selfie!

That was no selfie!

December 9, 2013
http://vicemag.tumblr.com/post/69543991157/so-will-blurred-lines-stand-the-test-of-time

vicemag:

So will “Blurred Lines” stand the test of time? Will it go on sucking for years like “Wild World?” Is this feeling an eternal flame? Or will it vanish, like “Save the Best for Last?” Well, in the words of a band who sucked wildly in 1982 and were immediately forgotten, only time will tell. But…

I’m confused, sucking is a bad thing? 

Liked posts on Tumblr: More liked posts »